Applescript to the rescue! It's an ugly solution, but it saved me a ton of time and helped avoid any manual entry typos:
- Use your spreadsheet program to arrange your transaction data into columns matching those in TurboTax's interface. You should have five columns. Insure that the dates are formatted as mm/dd/yy
- Copy and paste the data into your favorite text editor as tab-delimited text (I used the excellent TextMate)
- Use search and replace to convert all the tabs into
" & tab & "
- Use search and replace to insert the following at the beginning of every line
- Use search and replace to insert the following at the end of every line
" & tab
- Now each line should look something like this
keystroke "ACME Stock" & tab & "11/10/08" & tab & "100.12" & tab & "1/12/05" & tab & "584.12" & tab
- Paste the following script into the Script Editor application on your Mac
tell application "System Events" tell process "Firefox"--Clearly replace Firefox above if you are using a different browser set frontmost to true--Transactions go here end tellend tell
- Cut 7 lines at a time from your text editor, paste them into the Script Editor and click "Run"
- The script will populate the TurboTax screen with your data. Click "Add more Rows" in TurboTax and repeat!